Skip to main content


We in Biological Sciences believe that regular advising within a major is an important aspect of a student's undergraduate experience.

This all starts with declaring the major (including a declaration of one of the several concentrations within it). This can be done by filling out the declaration of major form and emailing it to

Instructions for Biological Sciences Majors

  1. Download the declaration form and fill out the student and major/minor information sections. 
  2. Save the pdf named as: “<Your Last Name>_<Your Student ID>”.
  3. Submit the form to for department approval. You are welcome to request an advising appointment in advance of declaring. 
  4. The department approver will submit the completed and signed petition to:

The major will have been formally declared when: a currently valid concentration has been noted on the declaration form, we have signed that form, and the form has then been submitted to the WCAS Offices of Studies.

If you have questions before filling out the declaration form, you are welcome to contact our Associate Director, Professor Galbreath, for advising. After declaring the major, you will be assigned an additional advisor who will help you navigate our requirements during your years at Northwestern. Our Program Assistant is also available to answer questions.

You will shortly thereafter be assigned a particular adviser within Biological Sciences for the future. We encourage you to meet with your adviser at least annually, and indeed whenever you have questions or uncertainties.


* If you need access to Adobe Acrobat during remote learning, you may obtain a student license here:

** For advising information during remote learning, please refer to the WCAS website here:

Back to top