Getting Started/Declaring a Major in Biological Sciences
First year students at Northwestern: WELCOME to Biological Sciences in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences!
To Declare this major:
- Download the declaration form and fill out the student and major/minor information sections.
- Save the pdf named as: “<Your Last Name>_<Your Student ID>”.
- Submit the form to PBS@northwestern.edu for department approval. You are welcome to request an advising appointment in advance of declaring.
- The department approver will submit the completed and signed petition to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will forward the form to WCAS. You will be assigned an advisor in our major, who will help you navigate the requirements of our major during your years at Northwestern. Our Program Assistant and Associate Director are also available to answer questions. While you are encouraged to Declare as early as possible (and optimally by the end of the sophomore year), you may do so at any point up until you Petition to Graduate from the College.
Suggested Course Sequence for First-Year Students*
During the first year, students typically complete:
- One of the general chemistry sequences*, culminating in CHEM 132, 152, or 172
- Calculus*, culminating in MATH 218-3 or 220-2
- A course in statistics* (for instance, STAT 202)
- BIOL SCI 201 Molecular Biology, in Spring Quarter
Students sometimes take Physics 130-1,2 or 135-1,2 during the first year, as allowed by their schedules; but more often, these courses are taken later. Students who place out of the entire general chemistry sequence, may take Calculus 210-1,2 or 212-1,2 during the first year, instead.
*Advanced Placement: A credit of undifferentiated biology can be awarded based on an AP exam score. It is possible to place out of some Related course requirements for our major: in calculus, physics, general chemistry, and/or statistics.
Back to top