Cell & Developmental Biology 2020-2021
Discover the internal workings of cells, and how evolved developmental processes organize those cells into tissues and organs.
REQUIREMENTS AS PER 2020-2021 CATALOGAny three of the following courses:
- BIOL_SCI 315-0 Advanced Cell Biology - Relationship of shape, structural dynamics, and function with the cellular state and gene expression; cell-to-cell communication. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0; BIOL_SCI 301-0 or BIOL_SCI 308-0.
- BIOL_SCI 328-0 Microbiology - How microbes interact with their environments, including with humans. Lecture and Laboratory. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 201-0 or BIOL_SCI 215-0; BIOL_SCI 219-0; BIOL_SCI 222-0; and BIOL_SCI 301-0.
- BIOL_SCI 353-0 Molecular Biology Laboratory - Project-based approach to learning lab skills in eukaryotic molecular biology. Prerequisites: 215, 219, 222; 301 or 308.
- BIOL_SCI 355-0 Immunobiology - Nature of host resistance; characteristics of antigens, antibodies; basis of immune response; hypersensitivity. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0, BIOL_SCI 222-0; BIOL_SCI 301-0 or BIOL_SCI 308-0.
- BIOL_SCI 360-0 Principles of Cell Signaling - Emphasis on principles, components, and logic that are common to different cell signaling systems. Modern experimental strategies for studying cellular signaling as well as the implications of disrupting cell communication pathways in disease will be described. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0.
- BIOL_SCI 380-0 Biology of Cancer - Various mechanisms controlling cell proliferation, signal transduction, DNA damage repair, cell fate decisions, and cell-cell communications, will be discussed. Topics will also include nature and hallmarks of cancer, and current strategies for cancer treatment. Prerequisites: BIOL SCI 215, 219, and either 301 or 308.
- BIOL_SCI 381-0 Stem Cells & Regeneration Biology - Developmental and molecular biology of tissue regeneration, with regard to regeneration from embryonic or adult stem cells. Discussion of conserved developmental pathways necessary for regeneration. Applications in regenerative medicine. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0 and BIOL_SCI 219-0.
- BIOL_SCI 390-0 Advanced Molecular Biology - Emphasizes coverage of molecular genetic mechanisms in eukaryotic organisms. Topics include basic concepts and techniques of molecular biology, the organization of genetic information, the flow of genetic information, regulation of the flow of genetic information, and various applications of molecular biology in biomedical research. Prerequisites: BIOL SCI 215, 219, and either 301 or 308.
- BIOL_SCI 391-0 Development & Evolution of Body Plans - Molecular mechanisms underlying early embryonic development, including establishment of the body and organogenesis. Discussion of original literature. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0; BIOL_SCI 301-0 or BIOL_SCI 308-0.
- BIOL_SCI 392-0 Developmental Genetics Laboratory - Development of independent projects alongside classic readings and experiments exploring key concepts in developmental biology. Prerequisites: 215, 219, 222; 301 or 308.
2020-2021 Course Offerings in this Concentration
|BIOL_SCI 315-0||Advanced Cell Biology||Gregory Beitel|
|BIOL_SCI 328-0||Microbiology||Keara Lane|
|BIOL_SCI 355-0||Immunobiology||Hilary Truchan||Hilary Truchan|
|BIOL_SCI 360-0||Principles of Cell Signaling||Reza Vafabakhsh|
|BIOL_SCI 380-0||Biology of Cancer||Xiaomin Bao|
|BIOL_SCI 381-0||Stem Cells & Regeneration||Christian Petersen|
|BIOL_SCI 390-0||Advanced Molecular Biology||Xioazhong Alec Wang|
|BIOL_SCI 391-0||Development & Evolution of Body Plans||Shelby Blythe|