Molecular Neurobiology 2020-2021
The study of Neurobiology within the Biological Sciences major emphasizes how cells are organized within the nervous system and the molecular mechanisms by which neurons transmit signals, leading to a deeper understanding of how the nervous system and the brain work. Through this concentration, students will gain a detailed understanding of molecular, cellular, developmental, structural and functional aspects of nervous systems.
This concentration is not available to students also pursuing a Neuroscience major.
REQUIREMENTS AS PER 2020-2021 CATALOG
Any three of the following courses:
- BIOL_SCI 302-0 Fundamentals of Neurobiology - Cellular and biochemical approaches to the nervous system, focusing on neuron structure and function. May not receive credit for both BIOL_SCI 302-0 and NEUROSCI 202-0. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0, and (BIOL_SCI 301-0 or BIOL_SCI 308-0).
- BIOL_SCI 303-0 Molecular Neurobiology - Exploration of the overlap between neurobiology and molecular biology. Prerequisite: BIOL_SCI 302-0 or NEUROSCI 311-0.
- BIOL_SCI 305-0 Neurobiology Laboratory - Hands-on experience in the performance of experiments in cellular neurophysiology. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 222-0; BIOL_SCI 302-0 or NEUROSCI 311-0.
- BIOL_SCI 307-0 Brain Structure, Function, & Evolution - An overview of the evolution of the nervous system and cognition, from the origin of neurons to the structure and function of the human brain. No P/N. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 302-0, BIOL_SCI 325-0, or BIOL_SCI 344-0.
- BIOL_SCI 325-0 Animal Physiology - Physiological principles and mechanisms responsible for the ability of animals to regulate variables in the steady state. Prerequisite: BIOL_SCI 217-0.
- BIOL_SCI 356-0 Endocrinology - Physiology and biochemistry of hormones and glands of internal secretion in vertebrates; endocrine glands. Prerequisite: 325.
- BIOL_SCI 360-0 Principles of Cell Signaling - Emphasis on principles, components, and logic that are common to different cell signaling systems. Modern experimental strategies for studying cellular signaling as well as the implications of disrupting cell communication pathways in disease will be described. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0.
- BIOL_SCI 392-0 Developmental Genetics Laboratory - Development of independent projects alongside classic readings and experiments exploring key concepts in developmental biology. Prerequisites: 215, 219, 222; 301 or 308.
2020-2021 Course Offerings in this Concentration
||Fundamentals of Neurobiology||Tracy Hodgson|
|BIOL_SCI 303-0||Molecular Neurobiology||Tracy Hodgson|
|BIOL_SCI 307-0||Brain Structure, Function, & Evolution||Tracy Hodgson|
|BIOL_SCI 325-0||Animal Physiology||Hodgson|
|BIOL_SCI 360-0||Principles of Cell Signaling||Reza Vafabakhsh|